As a leading stainless steel 304 & 316 fastener supplier, Bayou City Bolt is able to assist you in all your stainless steel bolt needs. Stainless Steel is an iron-based alloy that must contain at least 10.5% chromium. This chromium creates a surface film that resists oxidation. This surface is considered passive, or corrosion-resistant.
Three types of stainless steel:
- Austenitic – This category includes the 18-8 stainless that is approximately 18% chromium and 8% nickel. 18-8 is the most common stainless used in industrial fasteners.
- 304 – The most popular stainless for hex head cap screws. It is a low-carbon and higher chromium stainless steel with improved corrosion resistance.
- 304L – This is a lower carbon version of type 304 which is slightly lower in strength but has increased corrosion resistance and welding capacity.
- 316 – Improved corrosion resistance when exposed to seawater and many types of chemicals. It also has a higher tensile strength at higher temperatures.
- Martensitic – A class of stainless that contains 12 – 18% chromium. They can be hardened through heat treatment, are considered magnetic, and have poor corrosion resistance compared to the 300 series stainless.
- 410 – A chromium alloy containing no nickel. Commonly used for self-drilling and tapping screws
- Ferritic – Contains 12 -18% chromium and less than 0.2% carbon. It is magnetic, non-hardenable through heat treatment, and has poor weld characteristics. It should not be used in high corrosion environments.
- Medical Equipment
As a leading SS 304L & SS 410 bolt distributor, Bayou City Bolt offers stainless for applications such as architecture, aerospace, and more. Contact us today to learn more about our stainless steel 304 and 316 fastener supplies.